Monday, January 3, 2011

All about the Benjamins

     Bell Hooks’ Cultural Criticism Series was very interesting to me. It opened my eyes to so many different point of views that I had never witnessed before or at least put the effort in to trying to witness it. Looking back at all the media reference Hooks made, it amazes me how easily the American and even world population undervalue the severity of sexism, racism, and oppression in general. When Hooks was talking about teaching in Harlem, it really hit home to me the ignorance of mankind and the media trash. Hooks spoke of how brilliant her students in Harlem were and how they compared if not surpassed her students at Yale. Just because someone is privileged enough to attend Yale doesn’t mean they are going to get anything more out of it. Something I strongly believe in is that what you get out of your education is dependent on what you put in.
     When Hooks talked about Madonna it really opened up a different view of her to me. I’ve never been a fan of Madonna and I don’t know much about her but all my life I’ve heard that Madonna is a “feministic role model”. But after seeing clips from her music videos and photos from previous magazine photo shoots, it boggles my mind to even attempt to put her in the category of a true feminist. The fact that a woman as powerful as Madonna would degrade herself in a photo shoot like that saddens me. Because of her lust for more money and the vice grip fame has on her, she puts her true power and femininity aside to please the patriarchal social desire for sex and money.
     After watching the Bell Hooks Series, I see that oppression is everywhere and people just ignore it (unfortunately, including myself). I agree with Hooks’ assertions about oppression in the media and I think it’s important to work towards an end. Making the thief an African American male or put the woman “back into the kitchen” isn’t where our society should be heading. It’s the oppressive behavior in the media that is shaping much of the modern day youth and it’s vital to make a change or the oppression will just expand.

4 comments:

  1. I had issues with understanding oppression as well. I did the MLK Summit that happens in February (I think) through the office of Multicultural Student Affairs. It was really eye opening for me. A lot of people won't even acknowledge that oppression exists so I think you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am guilty of ignoring opression. However i think that watching the video by Bell Hooks has helped me to open my eyes to what is really going on. I agree with you on how we should be looking to change the social norms and ideas about how women should be put back into the kitchen and African Americans should be seen as the crooks. Your post is very intriguing and eye opening. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, I do also agree that it's all about the money. But I also believe that there are artists who still care. Haha I also agree with you when you say that it all depends on how much input you put in, but I think that the most important thing about that part of the video is that sometimes society puts you down and the place where and when you grow up affects the way you think. So you got to liberate yourself from the oppression of that mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Blog post. It saddens me too that Madonna was held up as a feminist role model. As someone in my late 30s, she was truly one of the the main music icons of my generation, along with Michael Jackson. Sadly, the music scene today has not improved much in this regard, and in some instances has even gotten worse. I wonder who people hold up as feminist music icons for today's youth generation?

    ReplyDelete