Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Feminazis and the Ugly, Bra-burning, Man-haters

I apologize, it's a little longer than it's supposed to be, but I felt like it was important for all my explanations to keep it this length.

          My definition of feminism is the belief that women and men should be treated equally. In all aspects of life, women can do just as much as men. I would like to define myself as a feminist. Living with three women studies majors and four women in general has opened up my eyes to the stereotyping indecencies that they have to go through. I try my hardest to treat all my fellow peers, men or women, equally and to counteract offensive acts against women. I believe feminism has greatly suffered bad stereotypes in the past and even now, but I do believe feminism is a growing part of life in many ways. I see what my roommates and the UNH Women’s Studies office do for our campus and community and it’s inspiring to see that even with the bad publicity towards feminism, they fight on and push through to change the world and the lives of women AND men.
            Many people when they hear the word “feminist” they assume the feminist is an angry, man-hating woman who believes all men are dirt and should go strand themselves on an island. However, when I tell my friends I try to consider myself a feminist and when I tell them I’m a Women’s Studies minor, they look at me and assume “I’m doing it to meet chicks”. It’s truly unfortunate the stereotypes women receive for being a feminist and when the stereotypes even flow over and people can’t believe a man can be Women’s Studies major for the good of society and women’s rights, it’s sad and enraging.
            People resist the “male hating feminazis” (The F Word) because that’s the way the media and television created the image. Had they not created the bra burning, man-hating stereotype it would be much easier for people to grasp the future of equality. Women deserve the right to a job where they are paid the same as their male counterpart. They deserve to lead a company. They deserve the right to reproduce when and with whomever they please. The bad publicity, in my opinion, is the biggest set back for feminists and the feminist movement. Because of this bad publicity, people, men AND women, are afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment