Thursday, January 20, 2011

What have you done today?

   A good activist is someone who genuinely cares and wants change. They are willing to fight to see a change in the world and act out against people who oppress others. An effective activist needs to be strong, loud, and courageous. Every person can help, but I believe the people that make the most change in this world aren’t afraid to be heard. Nothing will change if you’re hiding away. Another attribute I think a good activist needs is to be able to work WITH people. Meaning, I think it’s really important that the activist has their opinion, but uses their strengths and the strengths of other to fight. I’ve met many activists who only see things one way, and if you don’t agree with them then you can’t be part of their efforts.

   One of the signs in the video “Activism is more than a word” that I really liked was “Not just a community, a just community”. I really think that is a good way to sum up a lot of things. It shows, first off, that we need to be a community. We are all of the same community and humanity is just one large community. We are all here to help each other along, not push someone back and oppress them. I think that’s where the “just” comes in. We need to help each other and give everyone equal rights.

   As for my most admired activist, I had trouble thinking of someone really good. I really like Bell Hooks and I really enjoyed learning about her views in this class, but after reading another person’s blog I think I agree with them. I think John F. Kennedy was a great activist (props to Kelly O’Connell!). He worked so hard in the 60’s to fight for freedom and equality for all. He was one with our community and that’s why so much of what he did helped society. I did an essay on him in middle school, and it said that the day they died, they wanted to put a bullet proof shield over the car but he refused because he said he wasn’t going to hide himself away from the people of his country that he loved so much. I think this shows how close he was and how much he actually cared and wanted that change. Another reason why I picked him, was because he was a white male. Not to say that I’d only pick a male (let alone white) person for my most admired activist (like I said before, I really like Bell Hooks), but rather I think we NEED more white male activists. It’s important for everyone to get together and being part of the dominant race/gender, I can say from experience it’s hard. One of the biggest things that needs to happen in order to have change and equality is that white males need to help start the change. We need to be more than just a community, but a just community.

3 comments:

  1. I very much agree with your point that activists who see it one way have a difficult time making progress with effective change. Like I mentioned in my blog, it isn't that easy to change people's established positions, therefore instead of being powerful which may just turn listeners off more, working with people may prove best to slowly adjust their views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of “we’re here to help each other along. Not push them back and oppress them,” is a great thought and practice to hold onto. I think of the What Would You Do? episode we watched a couple weeks ago and how the jogger who was trying to stop the white kids from vandalizing a stranger’s car said “It wasn’t my property, but it was somebody’s. And we’re all in this together.” That’s the kind of mindset and action that goes a long way in a community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What have you done?" That is a good question, my roommate is an activist and everyday she asks me "what have you done to take down the patriarchy today? We all can be doing work, whether on ourselves or the cutlure.

    ReplyDelete