Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog #3

1. I'm privileged because I am a white, middle class male. I don't get discriminated against, whether for my race or my economic standing. I'm envied because I don't get the discriminations some might get about the color of their skin or how much money their parents make. Unfortunately there are many times when I've been privileged because of this. But one thing I can remember really well is when I got a new cell phone. Normally this isn't such a big thing, but I got a new cell phone from a new provider while I still had a year left on my other one and instead of my parents canceling it (they didn't want to get hit with the fee) they just kept paying for it until the year ran out. I'm privileged for so many things but I'm grateful. But really? That's pretty ridiculous!

2. I can't really say I've been oppressed. The closest I could come up to it the feeling of being a bad person any time someone says something about race or economic standing. Fingers point at me a lot because I'm so lucky and fortunate to be in the economic standing I'm in. It's sad that I have to be "fortunate" though to be white. I didn't choose to be white and I didn't choose for someone else to be of a different race. I'm oppressed in the sense that I'm put into this category of bad people without others even trying to meet or talk to me.

3. In my school, class was pretty mixed. However, if someone was of an 'upper' class, they would definitely remark on the 'lower' class people. I've witnessed a lot of kids put others down because of the items they own or more importantly DON'T own. I've had a lot of people talk about people behind their backs and unfortunately I can't say I did much to stop it. I refused to talk about someone's social standing when it comes to class but I can't say I'm a fighter against it. That's something I'd like to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment