Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog #4

   "I whip my hair back and forth"... why? I don't understand this song. I really dislike it, I change the channel if it comes on the radio and now that I've seen the video I'm even more confused. Is it just a dance move? I don't really understand what the point of whipping your hair is. I don't think this provides any kind of role model for girls. I don't think it's necessarily bad because I don't see how anyone could actually take anything out of it. Do I think it's inappropriate? Somewhat yes, somewhat no. She's way to young to be singing a song like this and dancing like that. Some of the moves (mostly done by the older dancers) were really inappropriate and I don't think she should have been associated with them.
   Race intersects with this video because, frankly, there just aren't any white people. All the dancers are black or latino/a and the only white person I saw (I'm sure I missed some) was a girl sitting in a desk bopping up and down.
  I have mixed feelings about this video because I don't think anything really BAD happened in it, yes there were slight sexual remarks but nothing to out of control. I just don't understand the song really.

1 comment:

  1. This was a video where there were mainly black people involved, but your right, theres nothing really bad about the video. I still can't help but think its inappropriate for a girl her age to be acting that way, however.

    ReplyDelete